I don’t know about you, but stress used to be a large part of my life. Stress can be lurking around the corner and hit you at any given time. Or it could be something that you are creating on your own without realizing it. Stress can also be a positive experience. Either way stress likes to have negative influences on your physical and psychological being. I strongly believe that stress is the cause for much disease. I know it made me extremely ill for quite some time. Today I am feeling the best I have all my life. I feel I am in better shape today in my late fourties then I was in my twenties and thirties. I feel stronger and healthier than ever. This is because I took the necessary steps in my life and refused to give in to the things that brought on my stress. I decided it was time to take care of me.
This is why I would like to share the things that work for me still to this day, on how I relieve stress in my life.
Before I start on my list of things I would like to say, sometimes we are put into situations that are very stressful and unavoidable. They are out of our control and are just things we have to deal with. How we deal with them is up to us. While we deal with these situations, I find it is important to not forget to take care of ourselves as well.
- Pick and choose your battles (take one step back, assess the situation, breathe and decide if this is something worth stressing about)
- Breathing exercises are wonderful during stressful situations (YouTube has great ones)
- Using essential oils such as Stress away or Peace and Calming.
- Meditate (YouTube is my meditation friend, but there are also some great apps out there such as the “Insight timer”, “Breath” or “Gaiam Yoga Studio” which is my favorite.)
- Listen to music (music makes everything better).
- Dance to your music, even while doing dishes.
- Go for a walk with your dogs, partner or by yourself.
- Exercise (this is a big one for me, I exercise daily).
- Spend time in nature. I love to just be outside, stop for a moment and take in all the beauty, surrounding me.
- Listen to something funny or uplifting.
- 11.Take a bath.
- Talk it out (Big one for me, but I have to be ready for it. Until then I am quiet, but once I get to talk about it, boy does it feel good to get it off my chest. I talk to my fiancé about literally everything and I love that I can. I find it is sooo important to have that one person you can tell everything to in your life. I hope you have a person like that as well)
- Write it all down
- Look at a baby’s laugh (I use my granddaughter for that, or look at baby pictures of my own kids)
- Pet your pets (I love my pets; I find it a blessing to have such great creatures in my life.)
- Enjoy a cup of tea (Another big one for me, my cup of tea can feel like a whole load of something has been lifted off my shoulders. Especially if I’m drinking my tea, while talking about my stressful event).
- Walk into a horse barn (OMG I’m not sure what it is with a horse barn but the smells and the sense of wholesomeness, trust and calm that happens when I walk through the doors, seeing and touching the horses is just amazing).
- Gardening (I love gardening and it brings me peaceful alone time. The accomplishment of growing things and being able to enjoy them is incredible)
- Absorb the sun
- Close your eyes and breathe (have you ever forgotten to breathe? I have, especially when I’m stressed)
The book “Getting Unstuck” by Pema Chodron (which I highly recommend to anyone, is definitely a must read. I have it on audible and listened to it about 20 times. Essential Oils and these 20 things have helped me tremendously to be who I am today. I hope this is helping you as well.
Interested in Essential Oils, click on this link: